Windows Server 2012 R2 Upgrade Tips
- It’s an upgrade. This is NOT a service pack that you will get from Microsoft Updates. Software Assurance customers may download the new version for free. Others must purchase a new Windows Server 2012 R2 license.
- Start button and Internet Explorer 11 are the key new features. Like Windows 8.1, the Start menu is now easier to customize.
- 64 bit only. In-place upgrades from 32-bit to 64-bit architectures are not supported.
- Same language. In-place upgrades from one language to another are not supported.
- No pre-release. Upgrades from pre-release versions of Windows Server 2012 R2 are not supported. Perform a clean installation to Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Upgrade rules. You can only upgrade like versions or higher of Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 to Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 or Windows Datacenter 2012 R2, but you cannot install Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 or Datacenter R2.
- Activation afterward. You must enter a new Windows Server 2012 R2 key after upgrade.